Wednesday 11 November 2015

Homemade Pumpkin Puree

As I promised a few weeks ago, now that Halloween is done and the pumpkins are no longer needed for decorations, they have made their way into my oven and are now puree.  I absolutely love doing this every year.  It is so yummy, so good for you and wayyy less expensive than the canned stuff. And, to top it off, this is so easy to do!!  
I use pie pumpkins (smaller ones).  I really don't know if this would work with a regular large pumpkins, I have never tried it.

To make pumpkin puree, you will need:

  • Pumpkins!!!!
That's the shortest ingredients list you will ever see!!!

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Cut the tops off the pumpkins as close to the stem as possible.  I find it much easier to use a serrated knife.
Cut the pumpkins in half, scoop out the seeds and keep to roast  :)  This is the bonus!!!
Place the pumpkins cut side down a foil lined, greased jelly roll pan.
Place in oven for approximately 30 minutes, until flesh is soft.  This may take more time, depending on the size of your pumpkins.
Remove from oven and allow to cool.
Once cool, simply peel the skin off!  If there are any strings inside, they can easily be scooped out using a spoon.
Put the flesh in a food processor and blend until smooth.

Portion the puree into 1 cup servings and freeze.
To use, simply remove from freezer, thaw and use as you would canned pumpkin.
Now I am going to go make a pumpkin banana cake... recipe coming soon!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment