Wednesday 3 June 2015

French Apple Cobbler

I decided last week to empty out my freezer instead of doing groceries.  I like to do that regularly, to avoid wasting good food.  By the end of the week, however, my cupboards get pretty bare, and I have to become very creative trying to put together a meal... but I enjoy a challenge, so it's all good  :)
I had a large bag of apples in the fridge, and not much else, but we wanted desert!  So, apple SOMETHING it was going to be!  I was also almost out of flour... a cobbler should be doable! (is "doable" even a word??)
All was going along well...until the last ingredient : an egg!  I had used every last egg in the house that morning for breakfast!  (this is what happens when you don't read a recipe carefully)  Once upon a time I remember reading somewhere that Flax with water can replace an egg, so, with fingers crossed, I soaked 1 TBSP ground flax with 3 TBSP water for a few minutes, then added it to the batter.  It worked perfectly!!!  My family devoured this cobbler, and I guarantee this will make a regular appearance at our table.  It would be wonderful with some fresh whipped cream, or even real french vanilla ice cream! (which I had none of!)  Regardless, it smelled so amazing and my kids were in such a hurry to dig into this that I forgot to take a picture of it before it was served!  OOPS!  you can see, however, the beautiful juice in the bottom of the pie plate (imagine pouring that over your ice cream!  Totally happening the next time I make this!!)
I found this recipe on Real Housemoms.com blog, and made a few modifications (you know, to make it better for you!)  I cut down on the sugar and of course, used whole wheat flour.

To make French Apple Cobbler, you will need:

Filling:

  • 4 lbs peeled, cored and diced apples (I used red delicious, but any apple will do!
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 3 Tbsp water
  • 1 Tbsp butter

Topping

  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 egg (or 1 Tbsp Flax meal + 3 Tbsp water)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a 9 inch pie plate with butter (or use non stick canola spray)
In a medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients and pour into the pie plate.
In a small bowl. mix all topping ingredients until well combined.
 The dough will be sticky. Place dollops of the topping to the top of the apples.
Bake  for 35 to 40 minutes, until apples are tender and topping is browned.

I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine did!  Let me know!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment