Tuesday 28 April 2015

Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread

I love zucchini!  I, however, am the minority in my family... The only way my children will eat this wonderful, versatile vegetable is if I hide it in baked goods!  That's ok... I like it that way too.  :)
I have had this recipe for well over 20 years, but I haven't made it in recent years as it called for A LOT of oil and sugar...Not exactly that good for you, regardless of how much veggies are hidden inside, so I decided to revisit this and make it better.... and I did!
This cake is so moist and delicious, not to mention incredibly easy to throw together!  Give it a try.  I am sure you will be glad you did!
I always make this in a bundt pan, because I like how pretty they look, but this recipe would work beautifully as muffins or bread.

To make Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread, you will need:


  • 2 cups whole wheat all purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup apple sauce
  • 1/4 cup sour cream or yogurt
  • 1/4 first press canola oil
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini (approx 2 medium)
  • 3 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • *optional- 1 cup raisins and/or nuts, 1/2 cup mini dark chocolate chips, or 1/4 cup cocoa powder.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Combine all wet ingredients, including zucchini.
Pour wet into dry and stir until just combined, adding in any optional ingredients.
 Do not over mix!
Bake for 40 minutes (bundt pan) Your bread is ready when an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

I have never used a frosting or glaze on this, I find it does not need one, it is delicious as is!

Enjoy!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment