Monday 13 April 2015

Homemade, Whole Wheat Pizza!!!

There are a few things around here that are expected every week.  One of them is pizza, specifically on Friday night.  I am pretty sure if I broke with this tradition things around here would get ugly, fast!
 We cherish our Friday night, wearedoingnothingandgoingnowhere routine.  Pizza kicks that off, possibly with a movie.  life is good on Fridays,  :)
We used to order in but as everyone is well aware, that can add up!  Plus, I was never totally thrilled with the choices out there.  Not to mention, everyone in my home likes different toppings, so after realizing the only way I can please everyone is to make my own, I did what anyone would do... turned to my Mommy for help!  She gave me this recipe for pizza dough that was given to her by her Sicilian Mother in Law.  I tweaked it to use whole wheat instead of white flour, so now, on Friday nights, everyone gets exactly what they like!  Gotta love a win-win.  ;)
This recipe will make 3 large 14" pizzas, however, I use 1/3 of this recipe to make individual pizzas to my daughters to bring to school on "pizza day".  This dough freezes beautifully, I might add!

To make Whole Wheat pizza dough, you will need:


  • 6 cups whole wheat bread flour, spoon and sweep method
  • 3 tsp active dry yeast
  • 3 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 cups warm water (110 degrees)

In your mixer bowl, add flour ,yeast, wheat gluten, honey salt and oil.

Pour approximately 1 1/2 cups of warm water and mix with the paddle attachment.

 Replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook, and slowly add enough water for the form a slightly wet dough,
 The dough should be slightly sticky, but pulling away from the sides of the bowl.
 Knead dough for 4 minutes.  Transfer your dough to a  large greased bowl and turn to coat.
 cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise, 30-45 minutes, until doubled.

 Transfer dough to a greased cutting board and cut into 3 equal pieces.  I cut one of these pieces into 3 to make individual pizzas for school lunches during the week.
Roll out one piece at a time , as round as possible.

 You can now transfer your dough to you greased pizza pan
and simply push the dough into the edges to fit. Allow the dough to rest, about 30 minutes.
 My husband likes a crispy crust, so at this point I bake it for 10 minutes at 350 degrees F. You can skip this step however and start dressing your pizza, if you prefer.

 Add your toppings and bake to desired doneness.  I turn my oven to broil the last few minutes, so that the cheese and toppings get browned a little (again, hubby's preference)
I hope you love this as much as we do!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment