Wednesday 25 February 2015

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

As I do a lot of bread baking, I thought I would give you the best recipe I have found for Hamburger Buns, and I have tried a lot of recipes!  This one is PERFECT!  Seriously yummy! These homemade buns definitely take center stage on hamburger night, and I get the satisfaction of knowing my family are eating whole grain goodness without any preservatives.  I love that!

To make hamburger buns, you will need:

1 Tbsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 cup milk 
1 large egg
2 Tbsp oil (I use first press canola oil)
1 tsp salt
3 cups whole wheat all purpose flour (spoon and sweep method to measure)
1 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
1 Tbsp melted butter (optional)

- In a stand mixer bowl with paddle attachment,dissolve honey into water and stir in yeast. 
-In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, oil and egg.  Add to yeast mixture and mix until combined.
-Add in salt, flour and wheat gluten (I add the flour in 3 batches to avoid a cloud of flour).
-Once the flour in incorporated and the dough is "shaggy", switch to the dough hook attachment and knead the dough for 5 minutes.  The dough should be smooth and elastic.
- Grease a clean bowl and transfer dough into bowl, turning greased side up.
-Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Once doubled, turn your dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a log. Cut the log into 8 equal pieces and shape into a tight ball.
 Place the balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and return to a warm spot for the second rise, until puffy and hamburger sized, 30-40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375.  If desired, you can brush the tops of your buns now with the melted butter. This will help the tops brown as well as keep the buns soft.  I personally do not find this step necessary.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes.
-Allow the buns to cool to room temperature before slicing.  If your are not using these within the next day or two, I would recommend freezing them until needed.




No comments:

Post a Comment