Tuesday 24 February 2015

Whole Wheat Focaccia bread

I have been on a mission to have only homemade bread in our home for a few months, and have been avoiding focaccia.  It scared me!  And I don't know why! This was not hard at all!  In fact, I actually messed up a few steps and it still came out perfect!
Give it a try, it is practically foolproof!

to make Whole Wheat Focaccia, you will need:

3/4 cup lukewarm water
1 Tbsp honey
1 tsp quick rise dry yeast
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cups whole wheat bread flour
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp italian seasoning

- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, combine water and honey.  Sprinkle the yeast over water and let sit for 5 minutes, until yeast softens and starts to bubble.
- On low speed, add oil, then salt.
-Add flour in batches as well as 1 tsp of italian seasoning.
-Knead until mixture forms a smooth elastic dough and pulls away from the walls of the bowl, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl, turn the dough so that the greased side is up and cover with plastic wrap.  Leave it to rise in a warm area for 45 minutes, or until doubled in size.  I turn my oven onto 250 for 30 seconds (just to warm the oven) and place my dough in there to rise.
-Grease a 10 inch round pan or a 8 x 12 inch rectangular pan (I use canola spray). Press dough to fit into the edges of your pan, then, make dimples in the dough with your fingertips.drizzle with olive oil and remaining italian seasoning.
-Leave to rise in a warm area for approx 45 minutes, until doubled in size. (I return it to my oven)
- Remove the dough once doubled from the oven (if that is where it was rising), cover with a clean towel.  Preheat oven to 375.
- Remove towel and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until top is golden and crisp.
-Cool completely on a wire rack.
Can be stored for 2 days at room temperature in an airtight container, or longer refrigerated.
Yummy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment