To make Macaroni and Cheese, You will need:
- 1 box whole wheat pasta (I used a 500 gram package bowties, but elbow pasta or any other shape is good)
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 6 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 3 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup buttered breadcrumbs, optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of water, al dente, drain and rinse with hot water and return to pot.
This recipe makes enough to easily feed 6-8. I make a large batch of this because my daughters love bringing a thermos of this to school for lunch the next day.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we do!